Lupin III TV Special 1995 Pursuit of Harimaos Treasure R2J – English Subbed and Dubbed

Standard

imagebam.com
(screens taken at storage aspect ratio by MPC-HC; I may make some at DAR at somee point)

okay, so I haven’t officially wrapped this one up yet. I still have to work on the subs. I plan to try to have both of Funimation’s subtitle streams, the one that goes with the dub and the one that goes with Japanese audio.

speaking of the dub: to call this arduous and onerous would be like calling the crackwhores that hang out with my mullet-headed neighbor “maybe a bit loose.” In other words, a gross understatement. And speaking of loose — geez, fiunimation’s syncing and mastering are a mess.
holy mother of Fuck was that a royal pain in the ass to sync! Not only did I have to demux the R1 audio separated into pieces at every fucking chapter using DVD Decrypter, I had to further split these chapter chunks in a bunch of pieces and add and remove more delay from each piece using delaycut and eac3to and vegas to monitor the sync progress.
Then I watched it and found more things to nitpick and redo.
If I were getting paid, I would probably finesse this some ore, but for fuck’ssake, what the hell does Funimation do to add and reove so many goddamn frames at every scene change and ad break? their masters are total shit.

try keeping track of buckets of audio snippets, and editing these and adding or removing delay, all losslessly in delaycut and mending the bits in eac3to cli, see if you can handle it. 😀

it could actually use more minor edits adding or removing delay, trimming start end times and making more splices, where it slips and slides… but that is enough for me.

Btw, I added in the original R2J ending too, since Funi truncated the Ending song by a couple minutes.
that HAD to be transcoded from the R2J audio, since the Funi bitrate is 256k and R2J was 384k, and no way can i merge 2 diff bitrates with eac3to cli tool, let alone mux it in scenarist or muxman if I could.

want an idea of the fun(imation) I had?
just look at the filename for my synced dub:

English – ch 1f+2+3f+4f+5+6+7+8+9+10A+10B+11A+11B+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20f+JpnEnd_PART 1A+1B.AC3

the thing about the Funi ending is it is a non-vocal mix which I like, but they fade it out fast, and I can’t mux it in Scenarist with that much audio descrepency, unless I add silence, but the credits still roll where as Funi had them shortened and localized ONLY (even though they use angles on the DVD for other Eng or Jpn titles), and I thought a fast fade out to 2 minutes of silence while credits roll is weird.

makes me want to avoid all Funimation dubs for adding to other Lupin R2J DVDs.
retiming subs is going to suck monster donkey schlongs b/c of the very same slip and slide adding and removing frames they did.
sloppy hacks.

I should get a job in this business, since professionals sure churn out some substandard work.

I finished the dub a few days ago, no time for subs yet.

The good news is that it will mux in the R2J with subs and not have to be transcoded. Atleast my preliminary remux of R2J audio/video with dub and R1 sup files. The only difference is my subs will be re-rendeered, and the bitrate on them will be much higher than the official R1 sup files (official fugly DVD subs, you know the score), they may just tip over max bitrate if I try to use a really nice font and styling for DVD… see bitrate graph below.

comparing R2J video to R1 video, bitrate and time, etc.

image host

So, you may wonder: how is the R2J video?
It’s not great, tbh.

imagebam.com

It surely beats the Funi video to a pulp, but how hard is that? Perhaps I will make a comparison on same frames at some point.
But the R2J suffers terrible interlacing and telecine wobble garbage and blended frames, being a 29.97 interlaced encoding, rather than a nice progressive video or utilizing some soft telecine…

Perhaps the BD is better, I will have to hope so.

updates on the custom later, when my family life allows time for sub editing.

So after many more days, I have a pretty good version of the subs done for the Japanese audio. It seriously took several days to tweak each line, and still needs more timing work. Considering the inordinate amount of work to sync the English subs for Japanese audio, I suspect I will skip syncing the dubsubs track for English audio, it was a huge pain in the ass of days of straight work on the other subs. If I skip the dubsubs, I will, however, include a copy of the opening credits/ titles translations, as well as my closing warning:

imagebam.com

… and I mean this, too!

speaking of Opening and Ending, I am going to try to include the FUNimation English angles as an extra on my fan disc. Here’s hoping I figure out how to add it in with Scenarist and make it selectable (even as an easter egg). I imported it to my scenario, but have no clue how to link it up with navi commands. 😐

Advertisements

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s